Becoming Office Fit ep. 001
Ahh The Desk…
It’s the place where many of us spend 8 or more hours a day during the week. A place that we have crafted into our own productive space. Or rather, we think it is. It is a place where majority of people think of this as just “throw away” time and that the only place to improve their health is outside of work at the gym.
Well, I am here to inform you that this notion is NOT TRUE. You can make strides to position your lifestyle to support your health anywhere, even at your desk. Here are some tips that can help improve your health & wellness at The Desk:
1. Work SMARTER and Not Harder.
As productive as spending hours upon hours at your desk may appear to be the best way to get ahead with your work, it really isn't. However, giving yourself a break every 90 minutes may keep you more focused while helping you complete a greater workload in less time. For those who have a shorter concentration span, try a routine of focusing solely on work for roughly 45 minutes before taking a break. Sorry guys, but a break does not entail checking your email, twitter, instagram, or facebook feed. GET UP. Walk around. Just get that body of yours moving. Thank me later.
2. Keep Your Desk Germ-Free. I know this sounds like a no brainer, but you would be surprised at how many people forget to disinfect their space. Maybe this will help you start that habit: did you know that the typical office desktop has almost 21,000 germs per square inch vs. the office toilet seat which has on average only 49 germs per square inch. What people don’t realize is that the desks, phones, computer keyboards are a haven for germs and can easily spread virus to whoever touches them. So, be sure to use soap and hot water to clean your office gadgets!
3. Uncross for Better Posture.
The act of crossing your legs, while sitting at your desk can lead to poor posture and lower back stress. Aim to keep both feet flat on floor for a healthier spine. Even better? Invest in a chair that forces you to engage your core and circulation.
4. Avoid Multitasking. We all think we are masters at multitasking. The truth is we are the furthest thing from it. Studies have shown that switching back and forth between tasks can actually decrease your productivity rate by 40% and you're more likely to make errors and introduce stress at a higher rate! That is a lot! Revert back to number 1. Work Smarter and not harder. Focus on one task during each focus session. Take a break then come back and work on a different project. Your boss, your job, and your sanity will thank you in the long run.
5. Start your day with a boost. For all the coffee lovers and connoisseurs out there, this one is for YOU! Want to Give Your Morning Coffee a Healthy Boost? Then, stir in some Cinnamon. Adding this not only adds flavor and dimension to your coffee it also is known to fight diabetes and helps to regulate blood sugar, which can make it ideal to help stabilize energy levels and moods.
The best way to improve health and wellness at your desk and maximizing your time at the office is to create new habits and follow these tips. These small changes will help get you on your way to achieving your overall health goals.